Defining the steps of the payment process - as seen by the merchant
Here is what the online payment process looks like from the merchant's point of view:
Figure 1. Payment process - as seen by the merchant
- The buyer validates the shopping cart.
- The merchant website creates a form using the data from the buyer's cart.
- The merchant website redirects the buyer to the payment gateway. The redirection is done via a POST form from HTML to HTTPS. The parameters of the form are described in the chapter Generating a payment request.
- After the buyer enters the payment method details, the payment gateway proceeds to the payment.
- Depending on the shop settings (see chapter Setting up notifications), the payment result is automatically transmitted to the merchant website.
- The merchant website analyzes and processes the payment result.
- It updates the database (order/stock status, etc.).
- The buyer sees the payment result on the payment gateway. If the buyer decides to return to the merchant website, he/she sees a "thank you" message and the order status appears.