Defining the steps of the payment process - as seen by the buyer
The diagram below presents the exchange flow from the buyer's point of view.
- The buyer validates his or her shopping cart.
- The merchant website redirects the buyer to the payment gateway. This redirection is done via an HTML POST form in HTTPS.The parameters that it consists of are described in the chapter Generating a payment form.
- After the verification and signature of parameters, the payment gateway presents the page of payment method selection. Figure 2. Selecting a payment method
If the payment method has been specified in the form, the buyer moves on directly to step 6.
- The buyer selects the payment method.
- The buyer clicks Validate.
- The buyer enters the number and the expiry date of his or her card. If the card has a security code, it must be specified.Figure 3. Entering payment method details
- The buyer confirms the selection of the payment method by clicking Validate.
- If the merchant and the buyer's card are subscribed to the 3D Secure authentication option, the payment will be authenticated with 3D Secure.
- An authorization request is sent to the buyer's bank, the issuer, in addition to internal fraud verification of the payment gateway.
- In case of success, a summary page is presented to the buyer resuming the transaction details.
A button allowing to return to the shop is presented.
In case of failure, a message is displayed. The buyer is informed of the rejection of the payment request. A button allowing to cancel and return to the shop is presented.